About Me

My photo
A freelance eco-embroiderer

Wednesday 15 July 2009

Dastkari Haat

Today, after another exciting meeting with Shazia, I headed for Khan Market to have an explore!

Here I found DASTKARI HAAT! A wonderful fair trade shop that supports and promotes traditional Indian crafts and craft's people.
The founder, Jaya Jaitly sounds like such an inspiring lady, I hope to be able to meet here during my stay in India!

The shop also had book discussing other projects where crafts people from different places ( Thailand/India, Africa/India, Sri Lanka/India) share craft tecniques and learn from each other! This is a similar project to the one that I am on, so you can imagine the excitement I felt when I stumbled across it!
There were these amazing Iron Chests that were handpainted and lovely!
The shop also had a great collection of posters that highlighted the differnt traditional Indian Crafts in each different state. These were beautifully illustrated and the whole shop and movement linked so well with what we want to achieve, and and what the eco/fair trade market is doing in England! I plan to take the other project workers here when they arrive at the weekend!

http://www.indiancraftsjourney.in/

No comments:

Post a Comment